[Mailman-Developers] Feature request: Reply-To Munging etc.

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Mon Mar 5 09:53:35 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 03:24:33 +0100, Sven Anderson <sven at anderson.de> wrote:
> 1) Receiver clean-up (if Reply-To munging is NOT used)
> One of the problems not using Reply-To munging is, that by using the
> reply-to-all function of MUAs the list of receivers tends to accumulate. As
> in open lists the users cannot know, if an address is part of the list, they
> cannot just delete them without risking to drop people from the discussion.
> So what about an option to clean-up the receivers list in Mailman, that is
> Mailman removes all To/CC addresses which are members of the list?

Depending on the system Mailman is installed on, the email going over
the list may take waaay longer time than the direrect mail. So the
active persons have a chance to rapidly answer, instead of waiting for
the list software.

That is, from my point of view, receiver filtering removes
functionality :-)

> 2) Add non-member-senders to Reply-To (if Reply-To munging IS used)
> One of the annoying things using Reply-To munging in open lists is, that you
> cannot easily include external authors in replies, whether you are using
> reply-to or reply-to-all in your MUA. It would be nice, if the sender could
> be added to the Reply-To addresses in the case, that the sender is not a
> member of the list, so that replies automatically go to the list AND the
> author. (Of course, this should be done only, if the sender didn't set his
> own Reply-To header already.)

With persons like me that either do strict to-list-only or
group-replys (depending on the actual audience), this would probably
end up with Cc'ed non-subscribers getting mails twice? So here we
depend on the MUA's intelligence to filter out doubled email
addresses.

But maybe I'm just too used to old habits, though :)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:              What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for