[Mailman-Developers] Pickles begone

Fil fil at rezo.net
Wed Jan 3 15:37:27 CET 2007

> >How do I fetch the dev branch, what set of commands do I use to install
> >it and migrate a few lists. Nothing fancy, but precise urls and commands.
>
> Take a look at
>
> http://wiki.list.org/x/ogI
>
> and let me know what you think.

OK; I was able to follow the instructions to the point of doing configure;
make; make install. Here are my first glance/field notes:

I had to tweak permisions on logs/* to be able to launch bin/mailmanctl
start, as they had been created with g-w (the logs/ dir is correctly g+sxw)

then i was able to create a list by using bin/newlist; it did create
a directory in lists/listname at server/  (empty directory)

I found a sqlite db in data/mailman.db  (I understand that to use a MySQL db
I just need to create it and change the SQLAlchemy variable to reflect this
db??)

the web server launched ok on port 2580 (I guess I'll have to ProxyPass to
it from apache, which is fine).

It broke however when I tried to connect to it (put the list admin passwd,
and got :
         UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 207: ordinal not in range(128)

maybe because I chose "french" as default language (I then switched to
english, created another list, and got to the web ui)

tried to modify the list options thu the web ui and got

SQLError: (OperationalError) attempt to write a readonly database 'UPDATE
"List data" SET bounce_processing=? WHERE "Listdata".list_id = ?' [0, 2]

I haven't tried yet to convert an older list to the new system.

-- Fil