[Mailman-Developers] dkim-signature headers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 8 03:39:33 CET 2007

Michael Thomas wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Mike talks about the l= parameter allowing adding trailing content, but
>> I don't see Y! and Gmail using it, and even if they did, how would we
>> (could we) add a footer without breaking either the signature or the
>> MIME structure of the message.
>
>   l= is the number of canonical bytes added to the body hash.
>   If l=5, for example, anything past the 5th canonical byte will
>   not affect the verification of the signature. That's the reason
>   we get such high verify rates through mailing lists.

My point is that for what I consider good reasons, Mailman will add the
msg_footer to such a message by wrapping additional MIME structure
around the original multipart/alternative message.

I.e., the original

multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html

message will be recast as

multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
        text/plain
        text/html
    text/plain

with the final text/plain part containing the footer. Given that the
original content-type header is included in the signature, the
signature is now broken.

If we were to take a different approach with a signature containing l=,
either the l= includes all the text/plain and at least part of the
text/html, in which we can't add the footer to the text/plain
alternative without breaking the signature, or the l= includes none of
the text/html part in which case the signature is not very good at
verifying the validity of the text/html part. This further assumes we
even know how to add a footer to a text/html part.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp>
for some discussion of why we do it the way we do.