[Mailman-Developers] dkim-signature headers

Joe Peterson joe at skyrush.com
Fri Feb 2 19:56:34 CET 2007

I really do not think that a From address should be changed.  This is
where "Sender" comes in (and Sender is more "behind the scenes" and less
important to the end user).  So what Mailman does not, I believe, is
correct: keep From set to the person who sent the email and set Sender
to reflect that the mail list is the sender.

I also do agree with Barry that the responsible party for an email from
a mailing list should be the mail list and not the original person who
sent it.  If you are subscribed to a mailing list, you need to be able
to verify that the message indeed came from the list itself (and you can
do this if the mail list host adds its own DKIM sig).  Ideally, the mail
list host would do the initial DKIM check from the original person
sending the message and mark the header to reflect that it passed, and
then the receiver's host can check the DKIM sig from the mail list.
This "chain" of verification would be sufficient to verify the message
itself.

Now, what about the original DKIM sig...?  If left in the header, the
end receiver might try to check it and get a bad match, even if the
newer sig added by the mail list would verify.  Yeah, I know that a "bad
sig is like no sig", but this just seems ugly.  Then there's the
additional problem of the milter not re-signing if there exists a sig
already (these were the two motivations for cleansing the sigs from the
mail in Mailman).

Bottom line is that if we let the system do two separate DKIM checks
(orig sender -> mail list, and then mail list -> receiver), it avoids
all the issues of changes made to the message.  Somehow this seems more
clean to me.

					-Joe