[Mailman-Developers] Templating the interface

Jon Reese jon.reese at inetspec.com
Mon Apr 30 00:12:49 CEST 2007

I would also like to lend a hand wherever it is desired as well as offer
some suggestions to help with the improvement of the Mailman user
interface.  Having watched the mailing lists since last November for
news about improvements in the user interface and the template system,
it was not really surprising that the subject came up again.  Bryan has
done some excellent work on version 2.1.7 as far as XHTML compliance.

Unfortunately there are a number of package related versions that cannot
be upgraded easily because the packagers have not brought the RPMs up to
date with the current stable release of Mailman (2.1.9).  They may have
reasons for this, including versions of Python that are supported in
various packages as well as their own development cycles and lack of
manpower.  If I am not mistaken, RHEL3, and CentOS3 are still relegated
to Mailman 2.1.5 due to a reliance on an earlier version of Python
(again the packagers have not upgraded the RPMs).  I have at least two
machines that I would like to bring to Mailman 2.1.9, but it would do
more harm than good and other factors prevent OS upgrades.

Areas where I can help include HTML/CSS/XHTML compliant markup for the
user interface templates, extending generic classes into Python coding
for inclusion in generic template styles, and perhaps even some built in
help hints for the user interface (as part of the templates or Python
coding).

My desired hopes would include Mailman 2.1.9 support for Python 2.2.3
without patches or changes to Python coding (for users of RHEL3 and
CentOS3); Support for a single CSS file to change the look of any single
virtual hosted mailing list; customizable administration pages as well
as the user pages for a mailing list; full language support integrated
throughout the templates; and finally, support for any template / user
interface improvements for the current stable release of Mailman (2.1.9).

I am in full agreement with Aaron as far as the template system and look
forward to further discussion on this topic.

Best regards,

Jon Reese