[Mailman-Developers] Incoming Queue format

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Sep 30 03:52:00 CEST 2006

At 3:37 PM -0700 9/29/06, Carson Gaspar wrote:

>  Brad, if your _incoming_ queue is so big that you have to worry, your
>  servers are woefully underspec'd.

That may or may not be true, but that doesn't make the problem
magically go away.

>                                                           If you can
>provide a detailed use case where it matters for the _incoming_ queue,
>please do so.

Basically, it's any site that has one or more lists that have
relatively high levels of incoming traffic, and which run into
synchronous meta-data bottleneck issues.  This could be a lower-end
machine with a filesystem that does not perform as well as could be,
and a more moderately sized list.  Or, this could be a site where
they've already thrown the biggest/best configured machine at the
problem that they can, and yet they're still seeing problems.

On the high end, from the reports we got after Apple upgraded the
system for lists.apple.com, I don't think they're too likely to have
these kinds of problems.  But the FreeBSD folks might already be
there, and I imagine that the SourceForge people are definitely there.

But I'm sure there are more relatively smaller lists running on
relatively smaller/less well configured hardware, and which are
running into the same kinds of problems.

All this aside, it's clear that I'm not going to convince anyone here
of anything, so I'm just going to unsubscribe from the list and I'll
ask everyone to make sure that they do not include me on any further
messages on this subject.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.