[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-Users] OS X & Mailman & Python

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Fri Sep 29 19:23:48 CEST 2006

On 9/28/06 7:16 PM, "Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org> wrote:

> If you look at the source, you'll see that the #! line is actually
> @PYTHON@ which gets substituted by configure at build time.  I forget
> exactly why, but the standard #! /usr/bin/env python invocation
> caused problems for people, so now we hardcode it via configure.

#! /usr/bin/env python
in an old-enough RedHat would have launched Python 1.5.2 when that version
was long dead (deceased, etc).  That's probably not the only example of the
reason for configure to select the Python to be used--essentially any
installation with multiple Pythons is subject to env picking the wrong one.

  --John