[Mailman-Developers] Incoming Queue format

emf i at mindlace.net
Fri Sep 29 18:23:55 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:

> So your assumptions about what kinds of filesystems may or may not be
> appropriate are not necessarily going to coincide with the decisions
> that other people make, or the kinds of hardware and OS they may be
> forced to live with.

I don't disagree with this assertion, nor am I making assumptions about
what people get to live with.

I observe that there is a very finite amount of Mailman developer-hours
to be had, and that the problems you're discussing have been addressed
by people who spent far more time on the problem than we have available
to us.

Furthermore, many MTAs *do* understand Maildir, and most admins do as
well; using our own queue-on-disk format means MTAs must access Mailman
via LTMP, pipe invocation, or the like, and if there are issues with the
queue the administrator likely must learn our queue-on-disk format.

Being able to deliver to mailman even if mailman isn't currently running
strikes me as a potential win for some configurations.

Most of the maildir phenomena you have an issue with wouldn't even arise
in the use case under discussion; a mail would enter maildir/new ,
mailman would suck it out, and that would be that; renaming wouldn't
occur and the number of elements in the queue is unlikely to become
large enough to pressure filesystem indexing schemes.

~ethan fremen