[Mailman-Developers] HTTPRunner.py (was Re: LMTPRunner.py)

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 9 04:19:54 CEST 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Actually, something that emf mentioned a while ago: we should adapt
> the current web interface to WSGI and then perhaps use
> wsgiref.simple_server():
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-wsgiref.simpleserver.html

Hi,

I've checked in HTTPRunner.py using this simple server and wsgi_app.py
for wrapping mailman cgi in wsgi environment.  I fear I may be doing
wrong things but it should be a proof that right things can be done.

There are some glitches in admin authentication interfaces: e.g., if I
want to enter password in http://server/mailman/admin/listname, then I'm
redirected to http://server/admin/admin/listname.  Authentication at
http://server/mailman/admin/listname/general works but the redirected
URL becomes http://server/mailman/admin/listname/admin/listname/general.

> Of course, this comes with Python 2.5, but I believe is available as
> a distutils package for Python 2.4.  The advantage is not only that
> we can do away with the setgid stuff, but that our web interface
> (even if nothing else is rewritten) can be dropped into any WSGI
> compliant framework.  In theory.  I haven't actually tried any of
> that yet, but currently that's the directly I'm thinking 2.2 should
> move to.
>
> (But yes, that does probably mean we could include a
> wsgiref.simple_server()-based runner of sorts, although that's going
> to be a bit of a misnomer :)
>
> - -Barry

Cheers,

Tokio Kikuchi, tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp