[Mailman-Developers] pipe-to-prog/maidir/lmtp performance

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 2 03:12:51 CEST 2006

Hi,

Barry Warsaw wrote:

 > When you feel confident about your lmtp implementation, go ahead and
 > check it in (probably in Mailman/bin/lmtp.py with hooks for mmshell
 > - -- or I can do the latter).  I think at this early date we should
 > make both LMTP and Maildir delivery possible, then we'll try to get
 > real-world feedback from users as to which we should ultimately
 > recommend.

I've commited it as LMTPRunner.py because it should be restarted by
mailmanctl.

>                                        How much work is your LMTP
> implementation doing when it receives the message?

It does the same thing as MaildirRunner does, although it doesn't do
saving the misdirected messages but only to report them in error log.

> If that's the case, there's some common constant amount of work being
> done and I'm just wondering how efficient the LMTP part will be.

My impression is that it is almost the same as Maildir delivery.

Tokio Kikuchi, tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/