[Mailman-Developers] Crypto-sign to post

stephen at xemacs.org stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Nov 13 08:55:01 CET 2006

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > I suppose you could also have each mailing list publish a pubkey and
 > require that messages be encrypted with that pubkey in order to get
 > posted.

Hey, that's great, we can update RFC 2369 with a List-Pubkey header!
I bet Gmane learns to use it within a week after proposal!<wink>

 > Sure, spammers could use the same key to sign spam, but I wonder if
 > that wouldn't be more work than is worthwhile for a botnet.

Don't bet on it.  As Brad points out, a botnet has effectively
unbounded resources per message.  If this becomes a standard feature
of any software as widely distributed as Mailman, some spammer will
decide to exploit it, and there goes the neighborhood.