[Mailman-Developers] thoughts on bounce processing

Joost van Baal j.e.vanbaal at uvt.nl
Thu May 11 19:52:37 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:24:36PM -0400, James Ralston wrote:

<snip>
> The primary issue we are encountering is that the vast majority of our
> lists (even the ones with hundreds of subscribers) are
> announcement-type lists, not discussion-type lists.  The list owners
> are using the lists to reach coworkers, specific customers, course
> attendees, etc.  The list admins know exactly which addresses are on
> their lists, because they've added them all themselves.

<snip>

> The issue is that people in this situation *want* to see the
> individual bounces, and they want to see them *immediately*, because
> the bounces contain important information that they might need to act
> upon.
<snip>

> The more I think about this, the more I think that silently discarding
> bounces is an error.  While some bounces are irrelevant (e.g. vacation
> messages), in the majority of cases, bounces are information that some
> entity should act upon.  There should be two (and only two) options:
>
>     1.  Mailman processes all bounces.
>     2.  All bounces are forwarded to the list administrator(s).
<snip>

> Thoughts?

The way Mailman is being used at your site is very similar to what we at
the Tilburg University are doing (and, I bets, _lots_ of other big
sites).  What you're proposing seems to be what we need (we've been
lucky thus far: I haven't had a raging VIP at my desk (yet!)) .  Very
likely, there are more interested sites.

Thanks, Bye,

Joost

--
Joost van Baal                            http://abramowitz.uvt.nl/