[Mailman-Developers] Virtual Domains Redux (w proposal)

Hans Ulrich Niedermann hun at n-dimensional.de
Thu Mar 9 21:25:41 CET 2006

Rich Johnson <rjohnson at dogstar-interactive.com> writes:

> On Mar 9, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Rich Johnson wrote:

[
  lists/<hostname>/<localpart>
  vs.
  lists/tld/subdomain/.../listname
  vs.
]

>> With all these variations, it might be reasonable to consider dumping
>> the path macros altogether and switch to a functional model.
>> The path mapping functions could be supplied by mm_cfg and modified
>> as appropriate for the installation.
>
> Oh wait!
>
> Mailman/Site.py already provides this function--but the rest of the
> system never propagates the domain--neither do the support utilities
> (like check_perms)

There are multiple places in the code where pathnames and URLs are
built outside of Mailman/Site.py. In the vhost branch, I need to
change all the code parts generating a path anyway, so I'm moving the
actual generation into a function in Mailman/Site.py while I'm at it.

Then if someone needs special file system layout later, he can rewrite
Mailman/Site.py into "from MySite import *" and implement his own
functions mapping objects to files and vice versa in a MySite.py
module. However, I'm not overly concerned with the details of all
possible layouts - that stuff is easy to change once it is
concentrated in a single module.

Gruß,

Hans Ulrich Niedermann