[Mailman-Developers] 552 SMTP CODE in bounce

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Mon Mar 6 16:32:25 CET 2006

Hello,

I thought that mailman would attempt to parse a bounce caused by a
failed delivery to establish if that failure was temporary or permanent.
It might be that mailman parses the error code correctly if that is
received directly from the outgoing mailserver, but it seems that if
the code is in a bounce (DSN), the parsing might fail.

I use exim 4.60 as outgoing mailserver and when attempting to deliver
to an overquota mailbox it will return a message with the following
body:

   user at example.domain
     SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
TO:<user at example.domain>:
     host mail-mx-4.tiscali.it [213.205.33.33]: 552 RCPT
TO:<user at example.domain> Mailbox disk quota exceeded

[...]

The user is then given 1 point as with a permanent failure.
If this is not what's supposed to happen, where do I look in the code
to fix this?
I see 552 only in Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py but this is not a
direct SMTP error.

Or perhaps i should teach exim to treat 552 as temporary errors
(until the maximum retry has been reached).

Thanks

Giuliano