[Mailman-Developers] incorrect generated HTML

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Wed Mar 1 00:52:09 CET 2006

Hello,

I have recently installed mailman.
As a result of customising the user interface, I have noticed that
the HTML of both the administrative and user interface is quite
incorrect. In particular the user interface, which shows many layers
of intervention (tags appear with too many case changes!).
I am attempting to clean up the code (as HTML 4.01 Transitional), but
I wonder if there is already an ongoing tidying up or redesign that
would make my work a waste of time.

One change in Mailman that would make correction and editing of HTML
templates easier would be to have all Mailman inner tags written
without using <> or other strange characters. For instance <MM-Form-
End> could be simply MMFormEnd. This way a template could validate as
valid HTML without being parsed first, as long as these Mailman tags
are not required in strange places.
Clearly the documents could loose its validity once parsed, but this
too can be avoided with careful design of the tags. For instance the
footer tag (I think <MM-Mailman-Footer>) generates at the moment
incorrect HTML all by itself and so cannot be corrected by a list
administrator.

I see now that there is a General Web UI item in the TODO. Let me add
a plea: please do not use php for the future UI!

Thanks

Giuliano