[Mailman-Developers] Accessibility Testing Tools (was Re: Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :)) Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :))

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Jun 30 14:12:49 CEST 2006

--On Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:09 PM +0200 emf wrote:

>> One of the tools that I have my students use is to test forms is the
>> WAVE. [5]  It will spot violations like missing labels, labels not
>> associated with inputs, empty labels, etc. and notify you with
>> icons.  [6]
>
> Great! I will use that and Cynthia.

Sounds good, Ethan. If you need any help interpreting the automated
tools analysis and recommendations, please let me know.

To be effective, accessibility checkers should form part of a wider
process that includes an informed person acting on their
recommendations.

Where accessibility is concerned, human judgement is key. Knowledge is
the best tool for ensuring accessibility. The tools are only useful if
you know what they're looking for, and if you know how to interpret
their suggestions (including allowing for special cases in your code
that generate false alerts in the evaluation). They will also only
verify a fraction of the things you need to do -- the rest of the
checkpoints require "human judgement"-- i.e., knowledge.

Laura