[Mailman-Developers] Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :)

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 12:11:56 CEST 2006

--On 29 June 2006 02:40:44 -0700 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2006, at 3:33 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>> Well, our MTA won't accept more than 250 recipients per email, so when
>> people need to email several thousand recipients, they have to
>> split their
>> recipient lists into blocks. It would be much better to simply
>> paste them
>> into a Mailman web UI, and let Mailman handle the details.
>>
>> Why 250? Well, actually that's because our LDAP server barfs if you
>> make
>> more than about 300 queries on one connection. Those queries might be
>> validating local email addresses.
>
> Is that per email or per smtp transaction?  If the latter,
> SMTP_MAX_RCPTS handles that.

Yes, we were forced to set SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to a lowish value, because our
MTA->LDAP connection breaks after handling a certain number of queries -
generating hard failures instead of soft. It might be more clever to set a
number closer to the real limit (360, iirc), and to actually count the
number of queries made, but it's much simpler to tell people 250 is the
limit than to tell them they can have as many as the like, as long as there
are no more than 359 local recipients. Especially as we host some
apparently remote domains.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex