[Mailman-Developers] Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jun 29 06:06:48 CEST 2006

Terri Oda said:

> 5. Archives?
>
> Are you going to get a chance to touch the archives?  A lot of the same
> things apply for templating there, and people always want that same
> look/feel.

Check the Mailman 2.2 ToDo list at
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+2.2>.  If what you want is not
already covered there, please feel free to add a comment at the bottom.

> Of course, I really really want to replace pipermail with something a
> bit more modern (I'm looking at finding a nice way to use apache's
> mbox_mod for my current lists -- if anyone's got instructions for that,
> drop me a line!), but I think that's a little outside your scope. :)

Better support of third-party archiving systems is also on the list.

> Still, getting  it so the archives at least use the same CSS might be
> nice.

Yup.  Also note that Ethan has his own ToDo space at
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Summer+of+Code>.

> I'll probably think of a dozen more things to say later, but as
> everyone else seems to have covered the most important things I'll try
> to restrain myself a bit. :)  I'm very excited to see this happen,
> though -- I think the web interface is often heralded as one of
> Mailman's strengths, and it'll be nice to see it a bit more polished
> and modern and less like someone's opened up a dusty panel and let us
> grab all the live wires we want. :)

IME, Mailman is a huge improvement over Majordomo+Majorcool, but could
certainly use more work to make it both simpler and easier to use
(especially for neophyte list participants and less experienced list
admins), while also making it more powerful and easier to use for the more
experienced people out there.

>From everything I've seen, I think Ethan's work is going to be a huge
improvement in both areas.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755