[Mailman-Developers] Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :)

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jun 16 13:30:23 CEST 2006

--On 15 June 2006 21:01:12 -0400 emf <i at mindlace.net> wrote:

> Hey, all; I'm ethan fremen, and I've been selected for a WebUI Summer of
> Code project.
>
> I'll keep a running log of my progress at
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Summer+of+Code
>
> My svn branch is
> https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mailman/branches/soc2006-webui ;
> feel free to check it out as the inclination strikes you.
>
> I'm especially interested in getting any feedback, either on the wiki or
> here, about any and all WebUI - or UI in general - ideas in people's
> heads. While the SoC project is fairly constrained, I want to at least
> make the future easier.

This is good news. Here's what I'd like to see happen:

    a) arbitrary page headers and footers so I can make it match the rest
of my site.

    b) site-wide masking of features that we don't allow by policy. There's
already some of this.

    c) templates for lists. We have four or five basic list styles
(announce/discussion with open/closed membership and umbrella lists). When
we create a list, I'd like to be able to specify there and then which style
to use. Such a feature would rely on having a set of files on the server
that hold the relevant list settings. The UI would simply let me pick which
style to apply. The task here is not to design the templates, but to enable
their easy application.

    d) When creating an list, I'd like to be able to choose an umbrella for
it to live under, and have it inherit privacy settings from that list. So,
to create a complex heirarchy, I'd start by creating the root list, adding
privacy settings, and then work down the heirarchy - perhaps making the
privacy settings more liberal as I go.

    e)

--
Ian Eiloart