[Mailman-Developers] The Philosophy of Web Use.

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:10:13 CEST 2006

Ethan wrote:

> Can you do me a favor and let me know how these examples work
> for you?
>
> http://tool-man.org/examples/sorting.html

Works great for able bodied mouse users.

But how are people with mobility impairments like low dexterity (unable
to use a pointing device like a mouse and instead must use keyboard or
switch) able to use it? It doesn't seem to work via keyboard.

WCAG Guideline 9.  Design for device-independence:

"Use features that enable activation of page elements via a variety of
input devices. Device-independent access means that the user may
interact with the user agent or document with a preferred input (or
output) device -- mouse, keyboard, voice, head wand, or other. If, for
example, a form control can only be activated with a mouse or other
pointing device, someone who is using the page without sight, with
voice input, or with a keyboard or who is using some other non-pointing
input device will not be able to use the form." [1]

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#gl-device-independence