[Mailman-Developers] Users, persistent storage, caches, etc.

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 7 11:39:09 CEST 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2006, at 2:33 PM, John Dennis wrote:
>
> > My apologies, I have yet to read Barry's SQL work so perhaps the issue
> > of how a user is defined has been greatly enhanced over the current
> > 2.1
> > model.
>
> It hasn't and frankly I don't see that as a possibility in the MM2.2
> time frame.  Not to discourage experimentation by Ethan, David and
> others, but it will necessarily be a hybrid solution until MM3.

That's an OK answer for me, because it gives a realistic view of what
the next couple of years hold, and indicates that fully solving the
user-database issue is a major task.  Thanks.

So because of our local need for a simple sender-based authentication
scheme, I should probably aim for something small, easy and local simply
to get us through the next year or two, while fully aware that we might
have to do a (possibly significant) transition job further down the road.

Thanks.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :