[Mailman-Developers] email schema / XSLT

Bob Puff@NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Fri Jul 7 04:16:37 CEST 2006

Some good discussion going on here regarding archives.  Just thought I'd chime in on the pipermail
thing.

One thing that I find very disappointing is to (google|yahoo\fav search) a solution to a problem,
only to find that the message that looks promising is in an archive that has been either nuked,
moved, or reindexed, so you can no longer see the original message.  Yes, Google's cache does help
out a lot, but if you want to start reading the threads, it breaks quickly.

If there was =any= way you could also include in your XML perhaps the original message id that the
older pipermail created, you could then render those messages on the fly with the appropriate
scripting, and even keep old URL links (perhaps under a 'legacy link' program or something).

This brings up the next question: how are these messages to be stored?  If its flat files, its gonna
take a lot of processing if you have to render these on-the-fly.

I do think that it is important to have a built-in archiving module.  Pipermail is better than nothing.

Bob