[Mailman-Developers] email schema / XSLT

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 00:55:44 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 18:07 -0400, emf wrote:
> John Dennis wrote:
>
> > Speaking of stylesheets and customized UI, are you planning on having
> > the core mailman code generate xml, which then is transformed with xslt?
>
> This would be nice. My immediate target is getting email into an
> ElementTree, and then displaying it using some combination of python and
> the xslt transforms available in kid.

Thanks for the thoughtful response Ethan. Actually I did a context
switch on you without your knowing about it :-) I wasn't referring to
just the email archiving, but rather all the pages mailman generates.

I saw a subsequent post from you in which you said "xslt is evil" so I
guess you're probably not too fond of this idea :-)

I guess my thinking had been an xslt transform adds one more level of
indirection that supports site customization in conjunction with css and
javascript, albeit at the expense of additional complexity (the added
cpu cycles can be mitigated by caching the transform result). Anyway, it
was just an idea.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>
Red Hat Inc.