[Mailman-Developers] email schemas

emf i at mindlace.net
Thu Jul 6 16:55:25 CEST 2006

Hans G. Ehrbar wrote:
> If mailman would be able to write an xml representation of
> each message to a separate file, that would be wonderful.
> Then one would be able to use xlst stylesheets to make
> custom archives.

I've looked into this a bit, and so far have found only a few
schema-like things for email, and the ones I've found make each header
an element. It seems to me like perhaps one would not want that
arbitrariness and would instead prefer something like:

<head>
<to></to>
<from></from>
<x-header name="X-List-Id"></x-header>
</head>

Where the standard headers are their own elements but the extended ones
have their names in an attribute.

Looking at a few python projects that display mail, they mostly seem to
use the email module and then pull out the parts they're interested in.

In order to provide a feed interface/ decent moderation interface, I
have to have something analogous to this; while I don't intend to write
each mail out as xml, there should be an url you can tickle to get out
an xml representation.

~ethan