[Mailman-Developers] Parsing and Rendering rfc2822

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 6 01:12:45 CEST 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 6:37 PM, emf wrote:

>> I seem to
>> recall this is also Barry's preference who noted the existing
>> pipermail
>> was only a stop-gap solution so there would be some default archiver,
>> but it was never the intention Mailman would have any extensive
>> archiving implementation.
>
> Like many stop gap solutions, this one is widely used, and represents
> the most visited portion of the "mailman web UI". At a bare
> minimum, the
> archive pages should provide decent navigation.
>
> The requirement for a default archiver remains, and the solution I
> propose is much more override friendly than the existing one; it
> wouldn't create hundreds of webpages out of the archives, just read
> out
> of the existing mbox files.

Pipermail was originally a separate project, developed by Andrew
Kuchling IIRC.  A looonngg time ago it was integrated into Mailman,
but not in a terribly clean way (e.g. inheritance through cut-and-
paste).  I don't think Andrew's been interested in Pipermail for years.

My own position on Pipermail and archiving is that Mailman should
come with a default archiver that is minimally useful for simple
sites, and that the Python-based Pipermail makes the most sense to
serve as this default, simplistic archiver.  It keeps packaging,
dependencies, and deployment very simple.  I'm open to suggestions
for alternatives though. (Or ideally, some young college student with
lots of free time to devote unending hours to improving Pipermail, at
the expense of family, sleep, social life and studies.  That, or get
Tim Peters interested.)

However, it should be very easy to integrate any other archiver with
Mailman, and to the extent that current APIs need to be improved, I'm
all for that.  If you have a pet archiver that requires changes to
Mailman to work better, please let us know!

Pipermail's lack of a default search feature is its biggest (but by
no means only) problem.  I'd like to see this addressed, if it can be
done cleanly, in MM2.2.  I'd favor a Python solution here, for the
same reasons as above but again, pluggability would be favored over a
hard coded connection.

Other than that, it's clear that Pipermail's web u/i is so 1995, and
needs a major overhaul.  For example, just as you'd like Mailman's
web u/i to be easily integrated into the L&F of a site, so too for
the Pipermail interface.  The major problem with that though is that
because Pipermail generates its pages statically, and because of
various bugs and misfeatures in earlier versions, any regeneration of
the static pages to a new u/i carries with it a high potential to
break existing links.  Honestly, I don't think there's any good
solution to link breakage, so I think the right thing to do is to be
able to preserve the current u/i and link algorithm unless the new
one is explicitly enabled.  And if the archives are regenerated with
a new u/i, we should ensure that the link urls will be much more
persistent than they currently are, probably based on a guaranteed
unique Message-ID or other header-based identifier.

- -Barry