[Mailman-Developers] LoopError vs. Approve.py

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 16:26:25 CEST 2006

(Mailman 2.1.8)

Probably trivial; probably my misunderstanding.  But...

... at the end of "Approve.py" is some code to detect multiple passes
through a list ("x-beenthere" etc.).

But "Approve.py" is about handling passwords, whereas loop-detection has
no relation to such authentication issues.  Shouldn't this loop detection
functionality be in some other place, not "Approve.py"?  For instance,
perhaps in its own, almost trivial, handler?

(I noticed it because I'm writing an experimental sender-authentication
scheme as a custom handler modelled on "Approve.py".)

BTW: Overall, as I dig into the Mailman code, I'm increasingly impressed
with its usually clean modularisation and its flexibility.  So this
loop-detection (mis-)placement seems out of character.

Many thanks for a good product.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :