[Mailman-Developers] Please Tell Me How You Translate

emf i at mindlace.net
Tue Jul 4 19:30:45 CEST 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I'm sure this was ages ago, but IIRC, UTF-8 was discussed at some point
> and the decision was made not to use it because it's support was pretty
> spotty in the browsers of the time.  I'm sure this has improved vastly
> now and UTF-8 makes the most sense.

Yeah, that sounds like an early-90's conversation; UTF-8 is the one
charset no browser messes up these days, as far as I know.

>> Pretty please, I need to set up a copy of someone's translation
>> toolchain; can someone using OS X or Linux as their work operating
>> system work with me to get an *exact* replica of their toolset?

> Have you gotten any love on this issue Ethan?

No love as of this writing. I'm continuing to kick the i18n ball down
the field until I can do a translation myself (into gods-knows-what -
I'll probably have to rely on my lovely and talented wife to give
Russian/Italian a stab.)

>  When I was working out
> the basic i18n support I implemented a stupid rot13 translation using
> nothing more sophisticated than XEmacs and the gettext tools.

Yeah, I can do that if need be. I just assumed there was Something More
out there; if not it might be worth the effort to put together a
minimalist translation interface.

~ethan