[Mailman-Developers] Inactivity deletion of maillist users ?

Erling Hellenas erling.hellenas at runbox.com
Fri Jan 13 15:10:49 CET 2006

Hi all !

Comment to Brad.

Thanks for your comments.

>  This is just an idea for an addition I think would be useful. I think
that
>  normally if you create some piece of information with a computer you
should
>  also see to that it is taken away when it is no longer needed.

Brad Knowles:	In some cases, that may be appropriate.  However, it is
totally
inappropriate to assume that this is correct in all cases.

I think it seems perfectly clear from my statement that I am not assuming
that this is correct in all cases.

"For most mailing lists, 99.9999% of the subscribership is silent
-- they read, but they never post.  In fact, many mailing lists are
announcement-only -- subscribers are not allowed to post, even if
they want to."

My assumption is that of the 99.9999 % a considerable part don't even read
the mails.

"	On lists where subscribers are allowed to post, if you then force
them to periodically respond to an automated query, you will find
that many of them decide it's not worth the hassle and they will go
somewhere else."

If two clicks every year or half a year is too much trouble to stay in the
list they might not be very important to the list owners either.

"	You obviously feel that this feature is desirable for your
purposes, and therefore you want the Mailman developers to add this
functionality.  The problem is that Mailman is an open source project
and the developers do not have the time to implement even a small
fraction of the features they consider to be useful, much less the
features that might benefit only a tiny fraction of the community."

No, this is not so important to me personally, but might help me a tiny bit.
For the moment I am not considering doing the implementation, but I might
well do other Mailman additions.

Cheers,

Erling Hellenas