[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Sun Jan 1 03:56:10 CET 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	But there's a problem with multiple moderators, one that we have
> on the mailman-users and mailman-developers lists ourselves -- in
> addition to many other lists hosted on python.org.  In short, the
> problem is getting all the moderators to follow the same moderation
> policy.
>
> 	Even if you have agreed on a moderation policy, there is still a
> certain amount of judgement required, and Barry might feel one way
> regarding a given post, JC might feel a different way, and I might be
> somewhere on the fence -- or any other combination of the various
> people involved.

That's a very interesting and accurate observation.  In fact, the
moderated post that started this thread is one that I don't think I
would have approved for posting to this list!  I felt mildly (but not
strongly) that this was a discussion that should probably take place on
-users first, because it's a discussion about the possibility of
changing the way the mailman list is used (by it's users) rather than a
discussion about "developing" a new feature, per se.  But, it's not
totally off-topic for -dev so Brad is also "correct" for approving it.

The main problem I think Rocky is experiencing is the problem of absent
moderators, period.  Rather than some automated method of turning the
moderator tasks over to others, I suggest that a better way is to more
closely oversee pending moderator tasks so that the list owner and the
list server administrator receive notices when a moderator's queue has
not been recently attended to, and address the lack of moderation while
the queue is still small and relatively fresh.

To this end, I suggest a list server setting and a per-list setting for
sending email notices (to the list server admin and to the list owner,
respectively) daily, listing the number and type of stale moderation
requests for each list.   My suggestion is that the default state of
this setting be set to "on" and it can be toggled off as desired, and
that the default is to start sending these emails once daily when there
are pending moderator items in the queue that are older than 3 days (72
hours).  List server admins and list owners could then adjust these
settings based on their list traffic etc.

It might also be useful to provide a cc field for the list-owner setting
so that when the owner is going to be absent from list management duties
this message (and all other messages that go to the list owner) could be
sent to a co-owner, and to allow the owner address to be set to nomail
when there's a co-owner address entered.

jc