[Mailman-Developers] Security standards?

emf i at mindlace.net
Mon Aug 21 06:27:42 CEST 2006

So as I understand it, mm 2.2 is dropping email reminders of passwords.
This has made me think that we'd like more support for 'passwordless'
manipulation of the UI.

I've come up with a few approaches for this, and I'd like to get
feedback as to what would be acceptable. Please keep in mind I'll allow
administrators to require more authentication than I outline below.

* Use case A: an email is a member of a mailing list but has never
logged into the interface.

I was thinking it would be ok in this context to allow a user-agent to
approach the interface and provide only the email address to be
"provisionally authenticated"; they would be allowed to manipulate the
member's settings. Once they were done doing so, an email would be sent
to the address that required clicking on a confirmation link to make the
changes active.

* Use case B: a user-agent presents an email that has used the interface
previously. If the user-agent presents a visitation cookie that was
active during the previous manipulation, the user is provisionally
authenticated again, and gets a similar confirmation email.

If they did *not* have a matching visitation cookie, or present another
this-is-really-me token, they would not be allowed to manipulate the
interface until they click a email-verification link.

* Use case C: Some other code (an upstream process, OpenId server, etc)
provides a username for a user. In this case we accept the user as
authenticated, and either use our map of username-> email addresses for
purposes of determining membership or accept an email_addresses list
from the WSGI environment or from the remote server/other process.

If only the username is provided, the user is given the opportunity to
indicate which email addressess should be associated with that username;
once they have done so, verification emails are sent to said addresses,
and post reply/link activation mailman considers those emails to be
associated with that username.

Does this stuff sound reasonable?

~ethan fremen