[Mailman-Developers] Fwd: suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce pro

gail.trac at verizon.net gail.trac at verizon.net
Tue Aug 15 20:46:05 CEST 2006

>I can certainly see why many people would get to the point where they
>start feeling like e-mail no longer has any real value.  I certainly
>feel that way about most USENET newsgroups I know of, and for the
>same reasons.
>Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>

Eamil has indeed become very frustrating lately, my email client is currently
fried and hopefully the guy coming over tonight can figure out how to retrieve
it, i've tried all i know and can't get it to open at all.  I also get all the
spam you've talked about, and the current software we're using to host a list
on sends me every piece of spam received for any imaginary address the spam
folks make for the domain on top of my more than healthy dose of personal spam
of course.  Its very annoying and at times its been a good thing I can't quite
reach the computer to throw it out into oncoming traffic, however, I work at
home so its a vital part of what allows me to do the various jobs from home.

Now, I've noticed a marked decrease in the viruses circulating in recent
months, and a huge increase in spam at about the same time.  A very senior tech
guy I respect a great deal has told me that the virus writing jerks have now
been hired to write software that spreads spam like they used to spread viruses
and I believe it. I told him i was getting the same sort of sinking feeling
about the internet hanging on by a thread like i used to get when the major
finanacial services applications i worked with were about to crash and he
brought that up in response.  I used to say, about the virus jerks, that if
only they'd put their talents to some good use they could change or rule the
world and make a fortune doing it, unfortunately it appears they've now figured
out how to make that fortune doing spam instead of something 'good' for the
world.  Sad isn't it?

Gail