[Mailman-Developers] suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce processing

James Ralston qralston+ml.mailman-developers at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 7 22:26:08 CEST 2006

On 2006-08-07 at 15:28-04 Bob Puff at NLE <bob at nleaudio.com> wrote:

> James Ralston wrote:
>
> > Choices:
> >
> >     [X] Count the bounce against the threshold.
> >     [ ] Forward the bounce to the list owner.
> >     [ ] Ignore the bounce.
>
> I thought there already was a "Forward bounces to admin" setting.

No, that's another patch I'm working on.  ;)

But that's not the goal here.  The goal of the "forward the bounce"
option here is "I want to see what type of stuff would be ignored if I
picked 'Ignore the bounce'."  In other words, it's a mechanism to
permit a list owner to make a determination whether the "Ignore the
bounce" setting is appropriate for his specific list, which Brad
obliquely suggested.

> IMHO, I really don't care to try to determine content bounces.

As a list owner, you shouldn't need to care.  Mailman should just Do
The Right Thing.  My argument is that ignoring content-related bounces
is the Right Thing.

Actually, I can phrase it more strongly: as it currently stands,
Mailman's lack of attention to content-related bounces *requires* me
to violate RFC2822.  If I refuse to do so, our users' subscriptions at
remote Mailman sites will be disabled.

James