[Mailman-Developers] suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce processing

James Ralston qralston+ml.mailman-developers at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 7 21:24:57 CEST 2006

On 2006-08-07 at 15:08-04 James Ralston <qralston+ml.mailman-developers at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> As a compromise, I suggest adding this feature as a bounce
> processing tunable; for example, "content bounce handling":

Upon reflection, this problem is yet another instance of Mailman's
fundamental problem with bounce processing: Mailman only tracks
bounces received per unit of time, not bounces received per messages
sent.

As an illustration, consider how much easier life would be if bounce
processing included an option like this:

    Disable a subscription if [ ] percent or more of the last [ ]
    messages bounce.

E.g.:

    Disable a subscription if [20] percent or more of the last [10]
    messages bounce.

Unfortunately, supporting a feature like this would require
maintaining [n] separate databases for every mailing list (where [n]
is the number of subscribers to the list), and updating all [n]
databases every time a message is sent to the list.

I'm not sure if doing so would be feasible...

James