[Mailman-Developers] Sender field

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Apr 29 18:03:22 CEST 2006

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>If this can be done by modifying the list-specific pipeline, you got a
>volunteer.  I'm willing to volunteer XEmacs's lists---our users can
>deal with it, and if need be I can revert without much lossage.  We
>share the MM installation with others, though, so it has to be
>something done by substituting a modified Handler for our lists only.

This can be done by making a modified SMTPDirect.py and modifying the
pipeline for the XEmacs lists. I'm pretty sure you know how to do
this, but after I was recently reminded (by you I think - thank you)
that this is a good way to do lots of things, I wrote a FAQ on it
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>.
The specific changes to SMTPDirect.py would be at the beginning of
bulkdeliver().

>You'll also need to tell me what I should be looking for; I have had
>no need to pay much attention to MM bounces for several years.

You would be looking for bounces being returned to inappropriate places
such as the original poster or the list itself. Thus, list members
would have to be aware of the fact that there was a change and that
they should try to observe and report any change in received bounces
or other autoresponses to their posts. It might be tricky to filter
out actual change from perceived change due to being more aware.