[Mailman-Developers] Logging issues on the trunk

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Apr 27 04:20:16 CEST 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 14:46 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> 1) The ReopenableFileHandler.__init__ method in Mailman/loginit.py
>>    calls
>>
>>          logging.FileHandler.__init__(self, filename, mode, encoding)
>>
>>    This method only allows the instance, filename and mode arguments.
>>    The encoding argument throws a TypeError exception.
>
>Looks like that's a Python 2.3/2.4 compatibility issue.  Dang.  Okay,
>I'll figure out a workaround for that.

It doesn't seem to me to be 2.3/2.4 compatibility. It doesn't work for
me with 2.4.1 and it didn't work for the poor soul who reported on
mailman-users that he tried building from source for the first time
and used the SVN trunk, and he has 2.3.5. There's no indication of an
encoding argument in either <http://docs.python.org/lib/node347.html>
or <http://docs.python.org/dev/lib/node391.html>