[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-checkins] SF.net SVN: mailman: [7858] trunk/mailman

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon Apr 24 08:19:17 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:59 PM -0400 2006-04-23, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>

>> One thing we may have to do though is set the log file encoding.  What
>> do you think about that?
>

> 	Log file encoding?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  I
> can think of a few different ways that could be interpreted, and I
> don't know for sure that any of them are the meaning you intended to
> convey.
>
> 	Could you clarify and/or elaborate?

Well, it should be a mess. :-(

Consider mailman get a spam from a foreign country and caused an error.
  Mailman may complain UnicodeDecodeError and spew an excerpt containing
unknown charset string.  This is certainly not printable if there is no
encoding which means only us-ascii is accepted for the log file.  Even
if you determine the charset for your language (eg. euc-jp for
japanese), you still get error for a chinese spam.

It may be useful if the log output use 'replace' feature of encode() method.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/