[Mailman-Developers] Manage many subscriptions with one password

Larry Howe linux at comjet.com
Sun Oct 23 08:32:16 CEST 2005

Hello All,

I am looking to add a feature to mailman and would appreciate some advice on
how and where to get started. I run a MM server where users can subscribe to
up to 8 different lists, and this number will grow. It would be nice for them
not to have to deal with that many subs. I see discussion of a centralized
user database, which is great. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is an MM3
feature, and MM3 is a ways off?

As an alternate, I was considering something like this:

- when the user authenticates to his options page, there is a section there
listing all possible mailing lists, and showing to which ones the user is
currently subscribed.

- user can simply check off the ones he wants and hit submit, and he will be
subscribed / unsubscribed to the appropriate lists.

- the button for List my Other Subscriptions is starting down this path. The
differences would be:
  - list unsubscribed as well as subscribed lists
  - allow sub/unsub via this page

- eventually, I could see adding a "group" field to the mailing lists so that
the user would see only those lists in the current group.

If I attempt this, is the project interested? If so, which branch? Is only MM3
being developed right now? I assume the centralized user database would
obsolete what I'm proposing here.

If this is a sane thing to try, any technical / implementation tips welcome.

Larry Howe