[Mailman-Developers] Debugging lost messages?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 5 02:08:26 CEST 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>	I've got another mailing list server installation (Mailman 2.1.5
>and postfix 2.2-20040504), and I've just discovered that one of the
>lists has been broken for about a month and I'm having some problems
>figuring out how messages are being lost.
>
>	The postfix logs are clearly showing the messages being sent to
>"post", but no evidence of them shows up anywhere in the Mailman
>logs.  They're not in the post, error, or vette logs, and I can't
>figure out where else to be looking.  I also can't figure out where I
>need to add some more debugging information to the log output.
>

>	I'm stumped.  Can someone give me some advice here?

See FAQ article 3.14   (just kidding :-)

Is archiving on? Are there members with delivery not disabled? If these
are digest members is digestable 'yes'? Likewise, if there are regular
members is nondigestable 'yes'?

Since there are presumably other, working lists, much of the FAQ isn't
relevant, but check for list locks in locks/

Also, if other lists are working, the wrapper and the scripts/post
script are presumably working, at least assuming that the wrapper in
the aliases pipe is the same one for this list as for the others that
work.

You could put a 'debug' in scripts/post to be sure, but all it does is
put the message in qfiles/in. Check the queue or maybe all the queues,
but when you say there's no evidence of the messages in Mailman, maybe
you've already checked.

Once the message gets to qfiles/in, processing continues with
Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py which basically directs the message
through the handlers in Mailman/Handlers/ which are listed in the
list's 'pipeline' attribute or the GLOBAL_PIPELINE. Does the list have
a 'pipeline' attribute? If so, are certain critical delivery handlers
such as  'ToDigest', 'ToArchive' and 'ToOutgoing' all there?

Is there a lists/<listname>/extend.py file? If so, what is it intended
to do and does it work?

It may be none of these things, but that's about all I can think of at
the moment.

If I couldn't find anything obvious in the above ideas, I'd try putting
a debug logging statement conditional on mlist.internal_name() ==
listname in Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py in the while loop in
_dopipeline to see how far it gets.