[Mailman-Developers] Make web_page_url visible in the admin GUI?

Max Bowsher maxb1 at ukf.net
Sat Nov 26 22:00:00 CET 2005

JC Dill wrote:

>>>   Max> Is there any reason not to add web_page_url to the
>>>   Max> configurable options in the admin GUI? Right below host_name
>>>   Max> in the general category would be a good place.
>

>>Yes, there is a reason.  It is the same reason that the ability was taken
>>out many Mailman versions ago.
>>
>>Thought experiment:
>>1.  Make a typo which cripples the URL such that you can't reach the admin
>>web page.
>

> As I read it, Max's request is to be able to set the URL to the user
> webpage, not for the admin webpage.  Then the right URL will show up in
> the list footer, etc.

No, not at all.

Mailman doesn't really have two distinct web interfaces. It has a single
web interface, portions of which are restricted to administrators.

>>2.  Now fix it from the browser.
>>
>>The sort of thing in #1 (sometimes not a typo but a more fundamental
>>mistake) happened often enough to make removing the ability seem quite
>>desirable.
>>
>>One thing which has changed since the decision is that a much higher
>>proportion of list operators don't have command line access than was the
>>case then.  So *perhaps* it would make sense to revisit the decision (making
>>it a site option, please).
>

> How about an option to set a new URL as the "default for displaying in
> the footer" (and archives, and elsewhere within your list's web
> structure), while still maintaining an alias (or having the new URL be
> the alias) to the machine address.
>
> That way the machine address will always work and give you a way to
> reach your list via the default machine name/listname path if you make a
> typo or otherwise change the URL in a way that doesn't work.
>
> As an example, this list is at:

> We could add a function to let the list admin set a "default URL".  If
> Barry wanted to change this list to:

> Then this would be the new URL displayed in the list footer, and mail
> sent to mailman-developers at list.org would be sent on to the list
> membership etc, BUT we could still always reach the list thru the
> original (default servername) URL and email address.

So, then you have one address considered canonical for users and another
 considered canonical for administrators?

Umm... sounds like a recipe for confusion to me.

See my previous mail containing proposals for "OPTION ONE" and "OPTION
TWO", for two ways I think would be a better approach.

Max.