[Mailman-Developers] MysqlMemberships.py

John W. Baxter jwblist at loricamail.com
Wed Nov 23 23:16:06 CET 2005

On 11/23/05 3:38 AM, "Fil" <fil at rezo.net> wrote:

>> Unfortunately this still doesn't succeed reconnecting to the server: I get
>> this traceback:
>>
>>   File "/var/local/mailman/Mailman/MysqlMemberships.py", line 141, in
>> _prodServerConnection
>>     if self.connection.ping() == 0: OperationalError: (2006, 'MySQL server
>> has gone away')
>
> A little bit of hacking makes this problem less painful, but I'm sure I got
> it wrong, or it is that my MySQL server "goes away" quite a lot. I don't
> know for sure, anyway, but if you're currently trying my version of
> MysqlMemberships.py you might want to update
>
> the patch is @ http://trac.rezo.net/trac/rezo/changeset/59
>
> -- Fil

What sort of setting does the MySQL server you are running have for timing
out idle connections?  Could it be that you aren't "hitting" it often
enough?  In which case, going away a lot is normal.

(I have that problem regularly with a desktop query client (CocoaMySQL for
Mac OS X).  It responds to a vanished connection by hanging unresponsively
until killed...your code is clearly better than that.  ;-))

  --John