[Mailman-Developers] PHP Wrappers?

Dale Newfield Dale at Newfield.org
Mon Nov 21 21:59:53 CET 2005

"Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
>	I'm sorry.  This is a case where you have to own all the pieces
>to the puzzle yourself before you can have a reasonable hope of being
>able to make them all fit together.

I do not believe this is the case.  Given a sufficiently generalizable sql
schema mapping mechanism, mailman should be able to directly use the DB
tables of practically any SQL based store.  Mailman can always add it's own
tables to store mailman specific info, and it could even add columns to
non-mailman tables.

> Among other
>things, greater integration with database tools says nothing for
>sharing the database schema designs with other projects.  Nor does it
>say anything for sharing the supported database packages with other
>projects -- maybe we'd like MySQL and they'd like PostgreSQL.  And
>that's just the tip of the ice shelf.

SQL is a standard ("Standard Query Language").  Any system needing a DB should be able to deal
with any standards compliant DB implementation, and if it can't the system was poorly
implemented.

-Dale