[Mailman-Developers] PHP Wrappers?

Kevin McCann kmccann at cruciverb.com
Thu Nov 17 13:16:09 CET 2005

This is my last response to Brad's messages (actually *these* are
diatribes if anything), and I only do so to make a few things clear:

- I'm not begging for anything; I'd like to see some things come to
fruition for the greater good. I have no personal stake in this,
financial or otherwise.
- I don't want people to "solve my problems." I see possible solutions
to challenges and would like to try to help meet them.
- I have seen missed opportunities to help move MM3 forward. Yes, I'm
disappointed, but for entirely unselfish reasons

For what it's worth, the kind of tool that I'm hoping to see--from a
functional point of view--has already been created. At Bellanet (my
former org.) we created something called Dgroups (see www.dgroups.org)
several years ago. The problem is that it relies on commercial software
(Lyris, ColdFusion, MS SQL). We wanted other international development
organizations, especially in developing countries, to be able to have a
dgroups for themselves. Essentially decentralize the service and build
capacity in the south. But commercial software was not practical, and we
really had moved toward open source policies by this point, anyway.

The idea, then, had been to find/develop the same kind of tool using
open source components. It didn't need to be a dozen tings thrown
together, as Brad insinuated. Only three (MLM, CMS or custom PHP front
end, SQL database).

It didn't look like MM2 was going to cut it because of, among other
things, data storage issues. So I suggested to the org. that we try to
get something happening with MM3. That's when we talked to Barry,
attended the sprint, etc. But when all was said and done, it just didn't
work out. So, instead of a good chunk of money going to the MM3 cause,
it is now going to go to some questionable attempt at integrating Sympa
with something (not my decision).

So, yes, I'm disappointed in the lost opportunity but for exactly two
reasons: 1) it means missed resources for MM3, 2)  it means that
international development groups will wait longer for the tool we had
hoped to provide them with. In international development, time is an
issue because quicker solutions means less suffering.  I have absolutely
no personal stake in any of this. But having been in international
development for 13 years, hoping for advances for the common good
becomes second nature.

Having said all of this, I should add that I went back and read my
original message. Yes, I came off strong. I wish I had said things
differently. It *did* sound critical. For that, I apologize. But I want
you to know is that my interest is solely in the greater good and
nothing else.  So, go ahead, kick me in the head again if it'll make you
feel better, but you should know that you completely misunderstand my
motivations and my agenda.

- Kevin