[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri May 13 01:25:48 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 11:05, JC Dill wrote:

> I personally don't see it as being a significant endorsement.  AIUI,
> it's a patch that allows 2 software programs to work well together.
> Mailman already provides patches or directions to make mailman work well
> with qmail and postfix, but I don't believe this constitutes an
> "endorsement" of qmail and/or postfix.

In a sense it does though, because we're making some kind of promise to
keep those things working.  Now, the reality is that without Your help,
there's no way I could keep those promises.  I know Mailman works with
Postfix because that's what I use, but I certainly don't have the time
or resources to test under all possible configurations.  I still think
that means that the Mailman community as a whole is endorsing the
support of those external mail servers.

> A simple patch philosophy that will address this and future patches:  If
> the patch is incorporated into the main mailman build then the default
> state should be "off" so that the listmaster has to proactively turn the
> feature "on" for their mailman list server.

+1

> If the patch remains as an
> add-on feature that has to be downloaded separately from the main build,
> then the default state could be "on" (since downloading the patch
> separately would be a clear indication that the listmaster desired to
> implement this feature on their mailman list server).

-1.  Pro-actively enabling a feature shouldn't be that much more work
than downloading it and getting it integrated.

> IMHO, etc.  Caveat:  I'm not a developer so those of you who actually
> write code and build/install the software (I just run it after someone
> else installed it for me :-) have much more say on this than I do.  So
> if you hate my idea, speak up!

Don't underestimate yourself JC!  You're what we developers like to call
"A User", and while your type can be pesky at times <wink>, without you
we're just hacking in the wind (he says, refraining from a more graphic
description :).  Users who help contribute to the design, functionality,
and usability of Mailman -- as you do -- are always welcome on this
list!

-Barry