[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri May 13 01:15:11 CEST 2005

I've looked at the patch, so let me give my general impressions, and
then try to answer some specific questions brought up in this thread.

First, obviously this can't make it into 2.1.6, since that's imminent.
The patch itself looks fine (i.e. no dotted T's or crossed I's :).  But
I would probably reject it anyway.

In principle, I like more general solutions and hooks for extensibility
than hard-coding in external dependencies like this.  For example,
Mailman already has variables for hooking in external archives, so you
could potentially re-implement your patch against that API.  The one
thing you'd lose is the ability to select mail-archive on a per-list
basis.  Is that important?  I suppose some virtual hosting installations
might want to allow that, but how common would that be?

Let's say that's an important requirement.  What I'd like to see in that
case is a way to specify multiple archivers, register these archivers
with Mailman, and then give list owners the ability to select one or
more of those registered archive methods.  You could even generalize it
so that the internal Pipermail archiver was just another one of those
methods.  /That/ would be a cool patch that I might support in a future
version.

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 04:01, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> On the pro side, there is the point that this would make such
> mirroring an opt-in on the listmaster's side, which is good.  So it
> might be worth Mailman thinking about under what conditions it would
> be good to make such an endorsement, and adding anybody who satisfied
> those conditions.

Right.  If we had the general framework I outlined above, we could be
pretty democratic about it.

-Barry