[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Usability

Dale Newfield Dale at Newfield.org
Fri Mar 4 23:05:33 CET 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:50:19 -0500 "Terri Oda" <terri at zone12.com> wrote:
>I'm confused... do you feel it's the interface and ease of use of that
>interface that makes google groups more of a source of spam, or is this
>just a general comment about the disadvantages of their system?
>
>I'm just trying to see if you're trying to indicate something we should
>avoid if we start looking to them for inspiration on improving
>usability, or if you're just commenting on the other problems of the
>system

I don't actually know.  I know that someone created many google groups
accounts with bogus personal info that wind up in my mailbox.  I know that
I cannot reset the password without knowing that bogus personal info, and
they have no "email me a new password" feature.  As a result I cannot
unsubscribe or prevent those accounts from being subscribed to various
additional groups.  At least the "give me control over my account" parts of
their UI blow.  I don't believe I've seen any other parts as I cannot login.

Certainly the ability to quickly subscribe to many mailing lists without
having ever proved you receive mail sent to the email address in question
is of dubious value.

-Dale at Newfield.org
 Dale Newfield