[Mailman-Developers] PGP and Mailman

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Mar 1 22:16:49 CET 2005

At 9:01 PM +0100 2005-03-01, Stefan Schlott wrote:

>>  I will write and publish a patch which integrates PGP signature
>>  validation and re-encryption of encrypted posts to mailman.  Specs are:
>
>  Don't duplicate work which has already been done :-)  I made
>  modifications to mailman 2.1.5 for encrypted mailinglists, but I
>  kept quiet for testing. The test installation seems to behave
>  pretty stable now, so this seems to be a goot point making the
>  patch public.

	Have either of you solved the problem of Mailman not preserving
white space in the message body?  This kind of thing is death to
messages signed or encrypted with PGP, and I have yet to hear of
anyone who has addressed this issue.

>                                               I didn't figure out at
>  first glance how chunking works... otherwise, a mail might be encrypted
>  to several recipients - increasing its length by several bytes, but
>  reducing the number of forks of gpg processes.

	You definitely need to encrypt the message to all recipients,
then send out one copy.  Anything else would be prohibitively
expensive in terms of computation time for any reasonable number of
recipients.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755