[Mailman-Developers] version mismatch?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 15:05:07 CEST 2005

--On 21 July 2005 05:32:43 +0900 Tokio Kikuchi <tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 12:16, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>>

>>> Am I right in thinking this means that I need to downgrade my python
>>> version to make this work?
>>

>> No, but apparently does mean that you'll have to rebuild the codec
>> extensions that come with Mailman.  I /think/ if you run Mailman's
>> config.status and then run make install again (against Python 2.4.1 of
>> course) you should be golden.
>
> Or, you may have to clear the previously installed codec modules by
>% rm -rf <prefix>/pythonlib/{japanese,korean}
> then run make install again.

Hmm, is that because the build process looks for existing codecs in
<prefix>?

I can't take down Mailman while I build the new version - it takes too
long, and Mailman is too important for our business. And, I don't work
nights!

Similarly, I can't mess with the current installation in order to make the
new one build. I have to make a new build, test it, then deploy it. If
deployment takes a couple of minutes to take down the service, move some
links, then bring it back up, that's OK.

Actually, that raises an issue. When I install Python, it kindly installs
in eg /local/lib/python2.4 - then it moves a link to enable the new
installation.

It would be very nice if Mailman would do the same. Taking down my list
server while building the new one isn't practical. Especially when I can't
be sure the new one will work. I found I have to:
    build (configure, make, make install) with <prefix> =
/local/mailman-2.1.6.
    test the web pages (fixing apache config to find the cgi)
    configure with <prefix> = /local/mailman
    hack the Makefile to install in /local/mailman-2.1.6
    make, make install
    link archive, log, queue directories
    take down mailman
    link /local/mailman
    put mailman back up

Now, this process is kind of workable, but has these drawbacks:
    1. it's more complex than it should be
    2. I never get to test what I finally install - it has to be rebuilt
    3. It takes much longer than it should.

>> Let us know if that works and I'll update the release notes.

Ah, well that'll have to wait, I'm afraid. I've downgraded Python to 2.2.3,
and reinstalled Mailman. Seems to work just fine. We don't use Python for
much else, so I'm not desperate to update it.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team