[Mailman-Developers] SMTPDirect timeout

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jan 29 23:30:25 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 12:18, Thien Vu wrote:
> It should but the MTA we're connecting to is a load balancer, and this
> is a known issue with our load balancer vendor (the backend goes down
> but the load balancer doesn't terminate the connection), but this
> could happen for a variety of other reasons.
>
> I chose to do this rather than SO_KEEPALIVE because the socket
> interface isn't really exposed through the smtplib module.

I'm not really crazy about adding a sigalarm handler here to fix this
problem, especially because it really does appear to be caused by a bug
in your smtp server (or load balancer -- but it makes no difference from
Mailman's point of view).  OTOH, as you say, there's no (public)
exposure of the underlying socket object in the SMTP object.  Even if
there was, in newer Python's you'd have to watch out for SSLFakeSockets
which don't expose the real underlying socket.

I'm -0 on this patch.

Aside from that, it's generally a much better idea to use SourceForge
for posting patches.

-Barry