[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.1.6 beta 2 released

Msquared sub1.dev.mailman at msquared.id.au
Thu Jan 27 07:13:14 CET 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:18:28PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

> >> - Most of the installation instructions have been moved to a latex
> >> document.  See admin/www/mailman-install/index.html for details.
>
> > This is *not* a positive move.
>
> I'll mildly disagree if the installation ball includes either
>
>   - a text or HTML version of the same data (easy enough produce via
>   standard TeX commands)
>
>   - a Makefile which runs the appropriate tetex commands to produce
>   either of the above

Admittedly worst-case scenario, but if you're in someone's machine room
installing this because they're so paranoid that they won't let you shell
in (even ssh), then the machine may also not have enough build environment
on it to convert the HTML or latex to text.

If it's "so easy" to convert it, then it should be done when packaging,
not when extracting.  You know (and can control) what your packaging
environment is, but there will be so many different
extraction/installation environments that I think the best bet is to
target the least common denominator for the install document itself: plain
text.

Regards, Msquared...