[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.1.6 beta 2 released

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Jan 27 06:39:04 CET 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 06:39, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> I have to agree.  Doesn't it make more sense to move to something like
>> reStructuredText if you need to produce somewhat nice-looking web or
>> printed documents without much effort?
>
> I think the doc source doesn't make much of a difference, and I like
> the
> mkhowto scripts that come with Python.  They can easily take latex and
> produce HTML, PDF, and plaintext.  I don't think the reST tools are
> quite there yet.

As probably one of few people here who's spent any time using the
mkhowto scripts, I'm with Barry.  They're pretty decent, make fairly
nice output in several different formats, and are easily available to
people who already have python set up. AND I think since we already
have a decent chunk of documentation in this formats, it makes sense to
keep our documentation in this format rather than having a mess of
other tools about.

Related: I get mail from people who've printed out the mailman
documents, so the more nicely formatted stuff is getting used... and
appreciated!

As long as the plan is to have some nice plaintext documents in the
root when we do the actual release, this seems good to me.

  Terri

PS - Tokio: I've got a pile of patches for the in-line documentation of
the stuff in bin/ that I need to double-check and submit.  Will there
be any problem if I check them in now?  I can wait if it makes your
life easier.